Team England Adaptive Volunteer Head Coach
Surfing England is the sport’s National Governing Body (NGB) as recognised by Sport England and we look after all disciplines of wave riding from grass roots through to Team England. Supporting the development of adaptive surfing is one of our core aims as part of growing a ‘healthy surfing community’ and using surfing as a tool for positive change. We run an annual Adaptive Surfing Championships and the Team England Adaptive are our most internationally successful team. We want to bring new talent and energy to the fantastic volunteer management team as we seek to further develop the team with more training opportunities and a more structured athlete pathway.
Role and Responsibilities
The head coach is a pivotal role within the team and reports directly to the Team Manager. They bring together the team of coaches and volunteers essential to delivering the training programme and events programme. Working with athletes across the team, the head coach has to have in-depth understanding of each athletes’ different needs and ensure their athlete development and training programmes are in place and well structured.
- Manage the team of volunteer coaches and water assistance
- Produce the annual training schedule (in partnership with the Team Manager)
- Co-ordinate training days and camps through the year
- Ensure Training and Competition schedules are in place for each athlete – some will be delivered directly; others will be via the coaches that work with specific athletes
- Contribute to the development of a pathway that brings talent from grassroots to elite level
Qualifications, skills, and abilities
- Proactive and can-do attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Surf Coach qualification to ISA L2 or equivalent
- Ideally sports development qualification
- Experience working with disabled athletes
- Able to work in high pressure situations
- Great time management and well organised
Whilst registered as a volunteer for Surfing England you are representing surfing at the highest national level, and you will be:
- Subject to the bylaws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of Surfing England
- Expected to act with integrity and diligence
- Expected to support the overall aims and development objectives of Surfing England
All Volunteers working with the adaptive team must have an enhanced DBS check and will be required to undertake the following training, which will be provide by Surfing England:
- Safeguarding in Sport
- Safeguarding Adults
There will be additional training on offer from time to time either provided direct or via partners such as UK Coaching and Activity Alliance
Location and Time Commitment:
The Adaptive Surfing Team are based across the country and we are aiming to have coaches and volunteers that can provide training in the areas they live. We also use The Wave in Bristol as the Team England central training facility and we expect to have scheduled training delivered at The Wave through the year.
We expect this role to have an annual time commitment in the region of 20 days. This will include administration time, training, and competition support. Currently, Surfing England is unable to pay volunteer expenses, although costs are covered for international travel. We are working hard to bring in Sport England support and more commercial sponsors, so this may change moving forward.
Please send a CV and covering letter detailing why you would like to apply for this opportunity to email@example.com marked TEAM ENGLAND ADAPTIVE HEAD COACH.
Closing date is the Thursday 23rd June. Interviews are currently planned for Thursday 30th June (to be held digitally), but this is TBC.
If you have any questions about the role, please drop us an email to the same address and one of the team will be in touch.