Surfing England is pleased to announce the dryrobe English Junior Squad for 2023!
2022 was a huge success for the dryrobe Junior Squad with consistent training camps at various locations, help and hard work from our volunteer coaches and team manager resulting in selecting the most successful Team England Juniors there’s ever been – placing 15th overall in the ISA Junior World Championship and taking 3 European Titles and a Silver at the European Surf Championships.
Squad for 2023 is as follows:
Sofia Louise Gooding
Surfing England are also pleased to announce the opening of Wildcard Applications to the dryrobe English Junior Squad for 2023
Wildcards are designed for exceptional surfers who have not already been invited to join the Junior Squad.
To qualify for a wildcard Surfers must meet the following criteria:
- Eligible to represent England (through birth, ancestry, or residency)
- Aged 18 or under on 31st December 2022 (ISA Qualification date)
- Be an exceptional surfer ready to compete on a national and international stage.
Surfers who have been selected for the previous year’s squad, but not been able to requalify due to injury or illness may request an injury wildcard.
Applications will be made by email direct to firstname.lastname@example.org .
A selection panel will be held once the application window has closed to determine whether any wildcards will be awarded.
Closing date for entries for Wildcards is Tuesday 28th February 2023. With any successful applicants notified by 10th March 2023. Successful domestic applicants will be invited to a trial day for further assessment before the final invitations to the squad are made.
Wild card applications should include all following information:
- Age / DOB
- Confirmation of eligibility to surf for England
- Competition results
- Current/ Previous Coaches and coach reference or testimonial
- Any sponsor details
- Evidence of surfing ability:
- Social media links
- An introduction to the surfer, their aims and ambitions and what they feel they can bring to the squad.
- Details of any other factors the applicant / parents would like to be considered, this can include any challenges or other mitigating factors the athlete has faced over the last 12 months
The selection panel will run on the same basis as for team selection. Where there are multiple surfers of a similar standard the panel will consider wider factors; are there extenuating circumstances that are impacting the surfers ability to fulfil their potential, is the surfer from an under-represented group within surfing, can the surfer enhance the cultural / social dynamic within the squad etc.
The address for applications and queries is email@example.com