Team England Adaptive/Para Surfing Volunteer Coach
Surfing England is the sport’s National Governing Body (NGB) as recognised by Sport England and we look after all disciplines of wave riding from grass roots through to Team England. Supporting the development of adaptive surfing is one of our core aims as part of growing a ‘healthy surfing community’ and using surfing as a tool for positive change. We run an annual Adaptive Surfing Championships and the Team England Adaptive is our most internationally successful team. We want to bring new talent and energy to the fantastic volunteer management team as we seek to further develop the team with more training opportunities and a more structured athlete pathway.
Role and Responsibilities
As a coach you will be responsible for supporting the delivery of the training programme, working in support of the head coach. You will work with athletes across the team and provide more in-depth support to smaller groups, requiring detailed understanding of each athlete’s different needs and ensuring their athlete development and training programmes are in place and well structured.
Alongside participation in full squad training, you may also run smaller group training sessions in your local area which contribute to the over training plan for the team.
- · Support the Manager and Head Coach in the scheduling and delivery of training days and camps through the year
- · Lead 1:1 and small group training sessions in and out the water
- · Ensure Training and Competition plans are in place for the athletes you are responsible for
- · Contribute to the development pathway that brings talent from grassroots to elite level
- · Be a positive role model for the athletes and for Surfing England
Qualifications, skills and abilities
- · Proactive and can do attitude
- · Excellent communication skills
- · Surf Coach qualification
- · Ideally sports development qualification
- · Experience working with disabled athletes
- · Able to work in high pressure situations
- · Great time management and well organised
Please send a copy of you CV and a covering letter explaining why you want to join the team and what makes you a great coach, to email@example.com
The deadline for applications is 15th Sept 2022.
Interviews will be held via Microsoft Teams on the 21st and 22nd September.
If you have any questions or would like to discuss the role in more detail, please contact Alice Radford, Adaptive Team Manager firstname.lastname@example.org
Whilst registered as a volunteer for Surfing England you are representing surfing at the highest national level and you will be:
- 1. Subject to the bylaws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures of Surfing England
- 2. Expected to act with integrity and diligence
- 3. Expected to support the overall aims and development objectives of Surfing England
All Volunteers working with the adaptive team must have an enhanced DBS check and will be required to undertake the following training, which will be provide by Surfing England:
- – Safeguarding in Sport
- – Safeguarding Adults
- – Inclusive Activity Planning elearning module
There will be additional training on offer from time to time either provided direct or via partners such as UK Coaching and Activity Alliance
Location and Time Commitment:
The Adaptive Surfing Team are based across the country and we are aiming to have coaches and volunteers that can provide training in the areas they live. We also use The Wave in Bristol as the Team England central training facility and we expect to have scheduled training delivered at The Wave through the year.
We expect this role to have an annual time commitment in the region of 15 days. This will include administration time, training and competition support. Surfing England is unable to pay volunteer expenses, although costs are covered for international travel. We are working hard to bring in Sport England support and more commercial sponsors, so this may change moving forward.