Trainee Surf Coaches at the Wave
Following the success of our first in-house Surf Coach Course in 2021 we are looking forward to offering the same opportunity for our forthcoming 2022 season.
The Wave Bristol is looking for aspiring surf coaches to join our ISA Level 1 Coaching course. Those taking part and completing the course will then have a guaranteed seasonal coaching role for the 2022 season.
We understand a barrier to achieving the required coaching qualifications can often be the cost and the location of the course providers. The Wave wants to be able to make this easier for aspiring coaches and are therefore bringing the course provider to us and we are committing to paying the course costs up front. Those joining the course will engage in a training contract with The Wave where you will pay back the course cost over your seasonal employment.
By the end of the course, you will have achieved your ISA Level 1 Surf Coach qualification and obtained the appropriate beach lifeguarding qualification preparing you to go through your Wavemaker Coach training ahead of starting your new role coaching during the Summer.
The course is being run by our friends at ERA Adventures on The Wave site here in Bristol from 2nd April 2022 finishing 8th April 2022 and you will commence your employment with The Wave directly after this.
In order to be considered you must be able to commit to the following:
- Available for the duration of the six day course at The Wave (2nd – 8th April 2022)
- Able to surf our advanced wave setting here at The Wave
- Can meet the timed swim target within the lifeguarding course of 400m in 7.5 minutes
- Able to commit to a 28 hour per week (possibly more) for a fixed-term contract running from 14th April 2022 to 31st October 2022
- You must be available to work weekends and the duration of the school hols
- Must be able to provide us with a clear DBS check certificate dated after any offers of employment and prior to commencing the course.
- Being part of a team that consistently pulls together to ensure that we are able to deliver The Wave vision through the products and experiences we offer.
What happens at the end of the contract?
It may be possible for the participants to continue working for us as part of our casual bank of workers at the end of the fixed-term contract. We also hope that we would see you return as part of The Wave family in subsequent seasons.
The Wave, Washingpool Farm, Easter Compton, Bristol, BS35 5RE
The Training Contract
- Our usual coaching rate of pay is £10.56 per hour but those joining us on the programme will be paid £9.50 per hour with £1.06 per hour worked deducted until the cost of the course has been recouped.
- You will not be paid during the 6 day course you will however be paid for the 20 hours of compulsory supervised coaching you must complete in order to get your ISA L1 signed off.
- Should you leave prior to the end of your contract/ the loan being repaid this will need to be recouped from your last pay.