2021 UK Dog Surfing Championships Announced!
We’re stoked to see Accredited Surf School Shaka Surf leading the charge on delivering this unique event in sunny Bournemouth. It’s definitely one to watch!
“Dogmasters” – 2021 UK Dog Surfing Championships
What is Dogmasters, the UK Dog Surfing Championships?
The UK Dog Surfing Championships – run by Shaka Surf on Branksome Dene Chine beach – has been running since 2018.
It’s a one-of-a kind event that brings together lovers of dogs and the sea for a fun-packed day of surfing and paddle-boarding competitions, as well as music, stalls, food, drink and more. All whilst raising awareness of animal charities (including Fusion Fostering), dog welfare*, and local businesses.
The last championships in 2019 saw over half a million hits on UNILAD and national TV and radio coverage such as the BBC News, Daily Mail, Independent, and local media. The 2018/2019 winners – owner, James Clarke and his Beagle, Bear – also featured on the Radio 1 Scott Mills show, with Scott himself stating:
“Dogs on surfboards – it’s my new favourite thing!”
What’s happening this year?
2021 will be the third Dog Surfing Championships is taking place on Sunday 25th July and alongside our main Sponsor – Red Paddle – we already have a fantastic line-up planned, including:
- The Main Event:Paddleboard owner and dog tandem race heats and finals.
- HOT Radio: Our media partnerbringing us the best tunes and as compare on the main stage
- Solo Dog Surfing Comp(dependent on conditions): Including prizes for style, longest wave, dismount, effort, tricks and tail wagging!
- Live Music: On the main event stage.
- Stalls: Featuring dog and surf related businesses and charities.
- Food & Drink: A variety of food and drink as part of the event.
- Dog (and/or owner) Fancy Dress:Last year had some amazing entries.
Mark Reeves, owner of Shaka Surf Branksome and Dogmasters, said:
“We’re really excited about this year’s Dogmasters event, which is going to be bigger and better than it’s ever been before! Dogs, dog owners and dog lovers alike will be sure to enjoy a fantastic day full of races, music, fancy dress, stalls, and more.
“Me and the whole team Shaka Surf – alongside our main sponsor Red Paddle and our media partners at Hot Radio – can’t wait to share the fun with you after what’s been such a hard year.”
How can the local community get involved?
Both local and related businesses are invited to get involved with the 2021 event, in return gaining exposure to a relevant, captive local audience. Options include Fencing Sponsorship, On-site Sponsorship and Stall hire.
Anyone can enter their dog for the competition (limited numbers available), so long as their pup is confident and happy in the water*.
Tickets for the event (both participants and spectators) are available on ticketsource and start from just £6 per adult (£4 per child over 3 years).
Dog Surfing merchandise and promotional goods will also be available via the Shaka Shop.
*All dogs taking part must be happy and confident in the sea. Prior on-beach training with Paws on Board is available to all participants.
Links, videos and images:
- UK Dog Surfing – Unilad Video
- Scott Mills Show featuring 2019 UK Dog Surfing Champ
- HOT RADIO – MEDIA PARTNERS
- Fusion Fostering at the UK Dog Surfing – Video