2019 English Junior Squad Announced
Development Squad Selection Document
This document has been created to outline the process of selection for the Team England programme during 2019. The squad, with the help of industry experts (Inc. elite coaches, physiotherapists, nutritionists & judges) will train, compete and develop together across a number of training camps leading to team selection for the 2019 ISA World Games (Location & date TBC).
Selection for the 2019 team has been determined based on the subsequent criteria –
- Automatic squad selection (where applicable) for those individuals who represented England at the 2018 ISA World Surfing Games in the Hyuga, Japan.
- Automatic squad selection (where applicable) for those individuals who represented England at the 2018 ESF Euro Juniors in the Santa Cruz, Portugal.
- U16 surfers who qualified for the 2019 World Grom Seach Finals.
- The U16 & U18 English boys and girls who finished with a top 2 (top 4 if a surfer has double qualified) placing at the English National Championships in 2017.
- The three highest ranked English surfers in the U16 & U18 boys (top 6 if a surfer/s has double qualified) divisions based on the standings at the end of the UK Pro Tour 2018.
- The three highest ranked English U16 & 18 girls (top 6 if a surfer has double qualified) divisions based on the standings at the end of the UK Pro Tour 2018.
- Injury Wildcard Selection, an injury wildcard/s will be handed out to any U16 & U18 male or female surfer who was selected in the previous seasons squad but missed over 50% of the training due to injury or illness.
- Highest 3 ranked English surfers based on the WSL 2018 European Pro Junior Standings
- Additional Wildcard applications…
NB: The selection takes into consideration those surfers moving from one category to another.
2019 English Junior Squad in Brief (Listed randomly)
U16 Boys Squad
- Stanley Norman (WSL 1, Euros & Worlds)
- Alex Townsend (Euros selection)
- Sam Hearn (1st English Nationals U14)
- Max Miller Cooley (2nd English Nationals)
- Austin Brocklesby (U16’s UK Pro 3rd)
- Travis Pierce (U16’s UK Pro 04th)
- Sam Taylor (U16’s UK Pro 06th)
U16 Girls Squad
- Bonita Whitelock (Worlds, 05th U16 Girls, 06th U18 Girls, 2nd English Nationals)
- Tegan Blackford (03rd U16 Girls, 03rd U18 Girls & 1st U14 English Nationals)
- Alys Barton (Grom Search winner, 1st U16 Girls, 2nd U18 Girls, Worlds)
- Maddie Cawood
- Asha Sykes (2nd English Nationals)
- Lauren Sandland (2nd UKPSA U16)
U18 Boys Squad
- Fyn lee Miller (WSL 3)
- Seth Morris
- Barnaby Cox
- Max Hudson
- Noah Capps (UK Pro U16 1st
- Will Masterman (WSL 2 / Grom Search)
- Woody New
- Sol Hawkins (English Nationals 3rd & UK Pro 2nd)
- Finn Collins (05th UK Pro Tour U18)
U18 Girls Squad
- Amy Dyer
- Lily Pierce (1st English, 3rd British Nationals)
- Lily Mandeville (Worlds)
- Francesca Sayer (1st English Nationals)
- Iris Tanner (English Nationals 3rd & 06th place U16 UK PSA Tour)
Oliver Hawksworth, English Junior Team Manager