Team England Juniors Volunteer Female Surf Coach position
Team England Juniors
Female Surf Coach (volunteer role) Job Description
Surfing England is the sport’s National Governing Body (NGB) as recognised by Sport England and we look after all disciplines of wave riding from grassroots through to Team England. A key part of the journey for young athletes looking to compete internationally is a place on the Team England Junior Training Squad supported by our partners dryrobe. The squad delivers a programme of training through the year for around 30 athletes aged 12 – 18. We are seeking two female coaches to bring new talent and energy to the fantastic volunteer management team as we seek to further develop the squad with more training opportunities and a structured athlete development pathway.
As a coach you will be responsible for supporting the delivery of the training programme, working in support of the head coach. You will work with athletes across the team and provide more in–depth support to smaller groups, requiring detailed understanding of each athlete’s different needs and ensuring their athlete development and training programmes are in place and well structured.
We have fewer girls surfing competitively than boys and we see this in our competition entries every year, yet we have some exceptional female talent through all our divisions. A really important part of this role is to inspire and motivate our young female athletes, to energise them and support them through their surfing journey. You will have the opportunity to make a real impact on the lives of these young athletes and to work with Surfing England to progress women’s surfing in a very direct way, as you support the next generation of female elite surfers to reach their potential.
- Support the Manager and Head Coach in the scheduling and delivery of training days and camps through the year
- Lead 1:1 and small group training sessions in and out the water
- Ensure Training and Competition plans are in place for the athletes you’re responsible for
- Contribute to the development pathway that brings talent from grassroots to elite level
- Be a positive role model for the athletes and for Surfing England
Qualifications, skills and abilities
- Proactive and can do attitude
- Passionate about developing talent
- Experience of working with young people and delivering performance coaching
- Elite competitive experience desirable
- Surf Coach qualification to ISA L2 or equivalent desirable
- Sports development qualification desirable
- Able to work in high pressure situations
- Great time management and well organised
Whilst registered as a volunteer for Surfing England you are representing surfing at the highest national level and you will be:
- Subject to the bylaws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures of Surfing England
- Expected to act with integrity and diligence
- Expected to support the overall aims and development objectives of Surfing England
All Volunteers working with the junior squad must have an enhanced DBS check and will be required to undertake the following training, which will be provide by Surfing England:
- Safeguarding in Sport
There will be additional training on offer from time to time either provided direct or via partners such as UK Coaching
Location and Time Commitment:
The Junior Surfing Team are based across the country and we need to have coaches and volunteers that can provide training in the areas they live. We also use The Wave in Bristol as the Team England central training facility and we expect to have scheduled training delivered at The Wave throughout the year.
The role has an annual time commitment in the region of 10 – 15 days. This will include administration time, training and competition support. The role is voluntary which means time and expenses are not covered. However, costs are covered for international travel when supporting the team at events abroad.
Surfing England believes a more diverse line up enhances and enriches the surfing experience for everyone. We recognise the positive value of diversity within the surfing community and we encourage job applications from people of all back grounds. If you would like to discuss any aspect of the role or have questions please don’t hesitate to drop us a note to [email protected] .
To apply, please submit your CV and a covering letter to [email protected]
Applications are open until 4th April.