Team England Adaptive Squad Team Manager volunteer role
Team England Adaptive Squad team manager
Surfing England is the sport’s National Governing Body (NGB) as recognised by Sport England and we look after all disciplines of wave riding from grassroots through to Team England. Supporting the development of adaptive surfing is one of our core aims as part of growing a ‘healthy surfing community’ and using surfing as a tool for positive change.
We run an annual English Adaptive Surfing Open and Team England Adaptive are our most internationally successful surf team. We now seek to bring new leadership and energy to the team with the position of Team Manager to keep up the momentum building and help develop the structures and environment that will enable our athletes to flourish and performance at the highest level.
Role and Responsibilities
As the Team Manager you are pivotal to the successful management of the team and the welfare of our amazing volunteers and athletes. You will work closely with the Head Coach to ensure we have the right support and training programmes in place. The initial focus will be on the ISA World Para Surfing Championships, taking place 7th – 11th December 2021, at Pismo Beach, California. You will build upon the positive culture within the team and work with Surfing England to support the development of talent pathways for existing and new to surfing athletes. You will be the backbone of the team, well organised and highly motivated to support some of the world’s best adaptive surfers achieve their maximum potential and drive forward the development of elite level adaptive surfing.
- Providing a supportive environment for the athletes and volunteer management team and making sure their welfare needs are met
- Working with the head coach to plan, prepare and deliver training programmes
- Lead the organisation of attendance at major surfing events, primarily the ISA World Para Surfing Championships (California) and English Adaptive Surfing Open (Bristol)
- Ensuring the support team have access to the appropriate training and you know and adhere to the Surfing England key policies for safeguarding and working with vulnerable adults
- Liaising with Surfing England and feeding into the wider development plans for adaptive surfing and talent spotting for the team
- Keeping the Surfing England office in the loop with planned Team activity and providing content (photos/blogs) to the social media team for posting on Surfing England networks to raise the profile of the Team England Adaptive athletes and program.
- Managing the support team and delegating tasks where appropriate
- Working with the Head Coach to develop and set selection policies, manage disputes, liaise between the Team and Surfing England
- To be a positive role model for the athletes and for Surfing England
Upcoming tasks for the ISA World Para Surfing Championships
- Liaising with the Head Coach to select and confirm the Team attending the event
- Managing travel arrangements including flights and driving/hiring vehicles abroad where required
- Organising accommodation
- Ordering Team kit
- Ensuring all ISA admin is completed to submit the team
Onsite at World Championships
- Organising the Team for classification and registration as by the ISA timescales
- Ensuring the attendance of the Team to the welcome ceremony
- Supporting the Head Coach with the delivery of any training sessions ahead of the event
- Day to day management of the Team including working through heat schedules, working with the Head Coach to ensure athletes know their heats and have the right support available where required.
- Social media posting/live stories on the Surfing England channels (with support from SE office team).
Qualifications, skills and abilities
- Highly driven, proactive and can-do attitude
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisation skills and time management
- Good level of administration skills, punctual responding to emails and adaptive enquiries.
- Experience working with disabled athletes and passion for adaptive surfing
- Able to work in high pressure situations
- Experience in managing logistics for teams or events, ideally internationally
- Ability to work to and manage a budget
- Ideally sports development qualification
Whilst registered as a volunteer for Surfing England you are representing surfing at the highest national level and you will be:
- Subject to the bylaws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures of Surfing England
- Expected to act with integrity and diligence
- Expected to support the overall aims and development objectives of Surfing England
All Volunteers working with the adaptive team must have an enhanced DBS check and will be required to undertake the following training, which will be provide by Surfing England:
- Safeguarding in Sport
- Safeguarding Adults
- Inclusive Activity Planning elearning module
There will be additional training on offer from time to time either provided direct or via partners such as UK Coaching and Activity Alliance
Location and Time Commitment:
The Team England Adaptive squad are based across the country and we are aiming to have coaches and volunteers that can provide training in the areas they live. We also use The Wave in Bristol as the Team England central training facility and we expect to have scheduled training delivered at The Wave through the year.
We expect this role to have an annual time commitment in the region of 20 days. This will include administration time, training and competition support. Surfing England is unable to pay volunteer expenses, although costs are covered for international travel. We are working hard to bring in Sport England support and more commercial sponsors, so this may change moving forward.
Please send a CV and covering letter explaining why you would like to apply for the role to [email protected] with the subject marked TEAM ENGLAND ADAPTIVE MANAGER.
Closing date is the 17th September.
If you have any questions about the role, please drop us an email to the same address and one of the team will be in touch.