Surfing England Coaching and Qualifications Lead job opportunity
Role: Coaching and Qualifications Lead
Location: Surfing England Office – Braunton, North Devon (2 days per week office based, 3 days flexible office or WFH)
Hours: Full time (Part time will be considered)
Salary: circa £28,000 +/- depending on experience
Employment type: initial 12 month contract potential for a permanent role
Start date: As soon as possible
There has never been a more exciting time to be involved in English surfing. The roll out of artificial waves, our new position as an Olympic sport, the amazing talent coming through our competitive ranks, record breaking participation and the increasing recognition of surfing as tool for social good. Surfing England sits at the heart of this activity as the sport’s National Governing Body (NGB) as recognised by Sport England, UK Sport and the ISA. We look after the sport from grass roots through to Team England, covering all disciplines of wave riding, including bodysurfing, bodyboarding, shortboard, longboard and SUP.
Fundamental to the development of our sport is a strong network of coaches and surf schools. This role is focused on developing that network and managing a substantial change in the way surf coach qualifications and support is delivered at Surfing England.
Having completed a review of surf coach qualifications in 2021 we are now in a position to start implementing our vision for the future of surf coach awards. We want to create a series of qualifications and a pathway for coaches that far exceeds the existing offer. We want more opportunities for coaches to progress and diversify, we want to see better use of digital and blended learning formats, we want a more inclusive coaching environment that welcomes under represented groups and we want our coaches to feel valued and proud to be a part of Surfing England.
The initial focus will be the foundation qualifications and setting up the supporting processes upon which we can grow our coaching offer over the next few years. Alongside the coaching programme, you will also manage our surf school accreditations, building relationships with surf schools across the country.
The right person will be passionate about sports coaching and creating a great coaching ecosystem that supports the development of our existing coaches and draws new people into the profession. You will be a great people person and relationship builder, able to bring our schools and coaches with you on this journey as we embrace change and bring in digital technology to create a modern and fit for purpose coaching system.
- Recognised lead for driving professional standards in coaching and surf schools
- Managing the recommendations and vision from the ‘review of surf coaching’ to create a dynamic and modern coaching environment for surf coaches
- Managing the tendering, selection and delivery of work packages to create the content for new awards and integration with our media partners to create an engaging package for the digital elements
- Chairing a technical panel to peer review new awards
- Main point of contact for surf coaches and surf schools
- Managing and growing the surf school accreditation programme and making annual inspections for all our surf schools
- Close working with our Membership and Marketing Co-ordinator to ensure our membership system is up to date
As part of a small, dynamic team in a fast-moving environment you will need to be adaptable and able to support other team members as new challenges arise. You will report to the CEO and will be predominantly office based (min 2days a week from Braunton HQ) with some travel and occasional need to work outside of office hours.
Successful applicants will ideally have:
- Heaps of enthusiasm and genuine passion for surfing and sports coaching
- A positive, pro-active mindset with a solution orientated approach to tasks
- Brilliant and confident communicator, facilitator and leader
- Self motivated and able to work without close supervision
- Comfortable ‘spinning multiple plates’ – managing a varied and busy workload and staying on track with key tasks and workstreams
Skills and Experience:
- Understanding of coach qualifications and coaching pathways
- Understanding and experience of digital technology and E-learning platforms
- Experience in delivering learning programmes and key design principles – quality, learner motivation, engagement etc
- Track record managing budgets and projects with multiple stakeholders
- Ability to work with technical and creative experts to produce highly informative and engaging content
If you are feeling excited at the prospect of making a real difference to surfing and want to join our team at this pivotal time, then we’d love to hear from you!
Please email a CV with covering letter detailing why you are the right person to take this role forward plus details of two references (we will only contact them at offer stage)
Closing deadline: Thursday 6th January at 12.00pm (midday).
Interviews: Tuesday 18th January 2022, Braunton, North Devon.