Surfers Against Sewage
“25 Years of Cleaner Oceans”
Surfers Against Sewage is an environmental charity protecting the UK’s oceans, waves and beaches for all to enjoy safely and sustainably, via community action, campaigning, volunteering, conservation, education and scientific research. It represents over 100,000 regular supporters and 10,000 members across the UK.
“Surfers Against Sewage believes that It believes that waves and surf habitats deserve to be seen as part of UK heritage and should be afforded greater recognition and protection through political debate and legislation.” Hugo Tagholm, Chief Executive, Surfers Against Sewage
Surfers Against Sewage (SAS) is an environmental charity protecting the UK’s oceans, waves and beaches for all to enjoy safely and sustainably, via community action, campaigning, volunteering, conservation, education and scientific research. It believes that waves and sites of special surfing interest deserve to be seen as part of UK heritage and should be afforded greater recognition and protection through political debate and legislation. SAS raises public awareness of these natural resources, the environmental, physical and geological factors that create waves and how they are integral to coastal ecosystems and can help support thriving, sustainable and economically successful coastal communities around the UK.
To achieve its aims it:
- Influences governments on key issues affecting oceans, beaches and recreational water users and policies needed to deliver a cleaner and safer marine environment.
- Creates volunteering opportunities for individuals and communities to be involved with activities to safeguard our seas, coastlines and beaches.
- Educates communities on the achievable, sustainable solutions to protect waves, oceans and beaches.
- Challenges industry to adopt better standards to protect our coastal environment.
- Promotes scientific, economic and health evidence for a cleaner and safer marine environment.
- Informs the general public about issues affecting UK waves, oceans and beaches.
01872 553 001
Registered charity in England & Wales Number: 1145877
Surfers Against Sewage, Unit 2 Wheal Kitty Workshops, Wheal Kitty, St Agnes, Cornwall TR5 0RD
BBC Coast Award (Best Green Campaign), Observer Ethical Award (Campaigns shortlist), Sony World Photography Award (Charity _Protect Our Waves), Portuguese Surf Film Festival (Best Sustainability Film Award), The Lovie Awards (Best Non-profit category winner), Surf Industry Manufacturers Association (Environmental Fund)