Surf Operations Manager vacancy – The Wave
Surf operations manager
As the Surf Operations Manager you will be responsible for the delivery of the surf experience at our Bristol site. You will head up the department and report directly to the General Manager whilst working closely with the fellow management teams.
This amazing opportunity requires someone to manage all things lake and surf. It’s a big task but with a stellar team around you that includes a squad of instructors, lifeguards and surf desk folk you’ll be bringing this unique experience to surfers of all levels.
You will most likely have at least 5 years’ experience in managing an operational team of at least 15-20 staff or qualified instructors delivering sporting activities and lessons for customers including children. You would ideally have experience in running surf schools but this is not essential, although we would expect an attitude and desire to become a qualified surf instructor if not. As with the whole Wave team, a natural fit to our evolving Wavey culture and an extremely positive attitude is absolutely essential.
- Designing, building and preparing our Surf Operations service as we prepare to open and working closely with our established Head Office team to do so.
- Providing first class surfing experience to all visitors whether accomplished regular surfers or those dipping their toes in the lake and the sport for the first time.
- Keeping our visitors safe through a huge commitment to Health and Safety and safeguarding. You will create this culture amongst the team and ensuring the team is prepared and qualified for the task at hand.
- Curating a crack squad of instructors, life guards and surf operations assistants.
- Managing, training, developing & nurturing the curiosity in your team to increase their skills, contribution and also progress their careers.
- Knowing your success comes through empowering your team, which you do through highly effective coaching, communications and delegation.
- Delivering the departments KPI’s including, sales, profit, labour, customer and team satisfaction targets.
- Managing day to day operations and surf operations facility, managing the surf operations team and their rota. Monitoring booking levels and managing accordingly.
- Ensuring our equipment is looked after and sufficient stock is available at all times.
- Creating and managing the departments operational budgets that take into account the product mix offered and the seasonality of the industry.
- Working with the head office team in creating and rolling out new products and initiatives, as well as integrating with our events, partnerships, marketing teams and more.
- Duty management shifts for the site.
Skills and attributes required:
- 5 years’ experience managing a large team
- A passion for the ocean, sustainability and the natural world
- A strong desire to get people active and to engage with surfing
- An ability to work under pressure, with a drive and determination to achieve the best
- Great people skills, with an ability to motivate and inspire team members
- Strong attention to detail, especially with regards to Health and Safety, with an ability to spot trends and errors
- A proactive and ambitious mindset, with a desire to ‘muck-in’!
- Experience in surf coaching is preferable
- Will need clean DBS check as part of safeguarding requirements
The finer details:
- Basic salary of up to £35k per annum
- 30 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays)
- Bonus structure (commencing upon opening)
- Full-time Position, starting ASAP (We will be open 12 months of the year)
- Working initially from our Bristol Office on the Harbourside and then at our Bristol site in Easter Compton
- Sponsored learning, qualifications and study time provided, if required
- Company pension scheme
- Wetsuit provided and managed access to go surfing.
Please apply below with a copy of your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Sorry – No recruitment agents
Applications close: 19th March 2019